by: Nabila Rhapsodios
PROLOGUE & PLOT
GAME FREAK Inc., best known for the Pokémon series, has released an action RPG about a lone person and a dog set in post-apocalyptic Japan. You play as Emma, the Sealer or Purifier, and her dog, Koo. In the year 4026, they’re sent to explore lands ruined by a corruption called the Blight. Their mission is to stop the Beast of Reincarnation, a threat that has caused the Blight for two thousand years.
Even though reviews online have been mixed, I stuck with this game. Beast of Reincarnation challenged me, but I managed to spend 30 more hours playing GAME FREAK’s first big-budget action RPG outside of Pokémon. It’s also their first game with voice acting.
MY IMPRESSION
Now that I’ve ended this game, here are my thoughts. Let’s start with what I liked about Beast of Reincarnation:
1. Beast of Reincarnation had a rough start. I remember having difficulty identifying some objects on screen and reading the in-game text at first, but patches improved these issues.
2. This game has flashy combat that rewards experimentation and personal expression. It offers an incredibly generous riposte system and piles up combos that make me feel strong, letting me gap-close fiends in front of me or from above. Koo is also awesome in combat because he often provides ways to expose weaknesses, so I can wrap combat efficiently. Koo’s turn-based mechanic synergizes well with Emma’s combos. I like the mane mechanics a lot for combat; it’s very comfortable.
3. Zone traversal is very versatile and rewarding. Zones in this game are cool, with materials to find at every corner to aid upgrades, and leveling up in general feels pretty fast-paced. Emma’s mane traversal is unique; it basically lets me climb almost all high points I can see within limits, and it helps figure out how to scale certain zones for items, even if the item isn’t always that functioning. Koo is a handy companion for sniffing out items and locating them, and he can help find locations, too.
4. The soundtrack features dark fantasy and atmospheric orchestral pieces that match the game’s world. Composed by Kow Otani. It’s a masterpiece—more than beautiful.
5. The story didn’t catch my interest right away, but I liked it more as I played. Beast of Reincarnation brings together themes like redemption, loss, and the bond between people and nature. There’s a big twist that connects the Blight’s origins to Emma’s past, which changes how you see her mission and her relationship with Koo (no spoilers, but it’s set up well by chapter 4). The story gets more interesting after chapter 4, even though the first three chapters are slow. It’s an emotional story, and the ending is satisfying, especially for a new IP from GAME FREAK.
6. Emma interacts with a girl named Violet. She’s also one of the main characters, along with Emma, Koo, and Kagura. Violet has a translucent appearance, but by the end, I find that she’s not the spirit of a deceased girl at all. Beyond her ghostly appearance, there’s an odd blend of beauty, moments of compassion, heated determination, and darkness. Her character perfectly balances the merciless and cold Emma. Violet tenaciously introduces Emma to fundamental human concepts like friendship, kindness, love, and free will. Violet’s character is one of the moments that I liked while playing this game.
Here’s what I didn’t like about the game:
1. It’s disappointing that the English voices for Emma and Kagura sound so flat. I get that Emma is supposed to be distant, and Kagura is afraid to speak up because of her past, but their English voice acting still doesn’t work for me.
2. This game has a good story and world design, strong art direction, and some serious potential, but it’s held back by an annoying lack of polish in cutscenes and certain zones, flat dialogue, and stiff animations.
3. It has some repetitive boss types and frame glitches in arenas, which reduce visibility. Truth is, the frame glitches often occur when exploring each zone, not just during boss battles.
4. It surely could’ve gotten an exceedingly better story if the developer shone more on Brad, Kunai, Shidou, and Mikoto, the four major supporting characters. If the four backstories were spread out much more, I’d feel more invested in them, especially since they have important connections to Emma’s development. Instead, the story makes it seem as though the foursome’s presence is fathomless, coming and going like a ghost.
5. As I said, the soundtrack is a masterpiece. But the game doesn’t seem to use it to its full potential, since I keep hearing the same tracks in different zones, cutscenes, and big battles. It gets repetitive as you go on. I’m sure the developer could afford a wider variety of music, and I hope I’m right.
VERDICT
Overall, I enjoyed playing this game, even with its flaws. I’d give Beast of Reincarnation a 7.5 out of 10. It’s not as bad as some people say, but it’s not perfect either. The game reminds me of Sekiro, NieR, and Stellar Blade in its concept, music, and story. If GAME FREAK listens to player feedback, I think the game’s potential could really shine, just like the flowers in Emma’s hair. I’m excited to see what GAME FREAK does next with Emma’s story and the game’s combat style.
-FIN-
*Disclaimer: Courtesy of Google Images. The material published on this website is intended solely for general information and reference purposes and is not legal advice or other professional advice.


Comments
Post a Comment